Good morning folks! For those of you that want a closer look at Mordenkainen’s Monsters of the Multiverse, I may have put together a small video review. Get an in depth, close up, high definition look at the alternate art gift set for Dungeons & Dragons. This three book set includes alternate art versions of Xanathar’s Guide to Everything, Tasha’s Cauldron of Everything and Morkenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. Of course, you are here to find out more about Monsters of the Multiverse, I’m sure.
A large portion of the video is spent comparing the 2022 compilation book to previous releases: Volo’s Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes. This evaluation will compare the stat blocks of the Annis Hag as an example and will also look at what else is missing or different from the monster pages. We also begin the review with a look at the new versions of 30 playable character races ranging from the Aarakockra and Aasimar to the Shifter and Yuan-ti.
Is It Worth It to Buy Mordenkainen’s Monsters of the Multiverse?
While the video will give you the most detail and comparisons, I understand that your time is limited. Therefore, here is the quick low-down on this new book and whether or not it is worth it to pick up for your collection.
Monsters of the Multiverse is worth buying if:
- You are a collector
- You are a DM and want the new, adjusted races for your game
- You do not already own Volos or Tome of Foes and just want the monsters (without additional lore)
- You are a player that insists on having the book to familiarize yourself with the changes to the races
- You are a DM that wants all of Volos and Tome of Foes in one book
It is NOT worth buying if:
- You enjoy lore (Tome of Foes and Volos has fantastic additional information)
- You already own Tome of Foes and Volos Guide
- You are a player only and have alternate ways to access the updated races
If I had to choose between having Volos Guide to Monsters + Tome of Foes or Monsters of the Multiverse. I would much rather have the two older books and pass on the new one.
Hope the review helps those that were on the fence about buying it or not. Cheers!
on to the next!